You are not logged in.

S5 Box

Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray 13 Years, 9 Months ago  
This was brought up in the latest stream, and well, I think it deserves a thread.

What do you think of Blu-ray compared to a regular DVD? Does it make a difference to you?

In some movies, I see a huge difference. For example, 300 on Blu-ray is amazing compared to the regular DVD version of it.

What's your take on Blu-ray?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Blu-Ray 13 Years, 9 Months ago  
Well, I do have since some months a 1080p TV and PayTV in HD (same resolution as Blu-Ray) and I have to say, that I do not want to miss HD in generel anymore.

But it depends a lot on the movie, too - older stuff (like my beloved 80s and 90s flicks) are still great in SD (also because I watch them mainly just on my video beamer and the old picture creates a original feeling ^^), while new stuff (Avatar for example) is really great in HD.

Personally I do have a bit more then 1000 DVDs (originals) but just some less BluRays because of their high prices (I do not want to spend 30-45 bugs for a single movie), in this case I still stick with the DVD.

Imo also a highscalled DVD (as the PS3 does it) looks very good and with the right equipment for me that is still good enough.

Of course I mix here two topics, but I guess that BR and HD are going close in the same direction, dont u think so?
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/07/14 23:06 By [NewNet]*Atarix.

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years, 8 Months ago  
I've used Blu-ray for almost 1 year now Atarix and it's good compared to DVD. The best example of the comparison is to watch a Pixar movie like Cars on both DVD and Blu-ray. On the Blu-ray you can see how the picture is clear and not compressed as it would be on DVD. Another good example is the HD Audio that they encode on Blu-ray Disc as it's very loud on my older Sony Receiver. But in some ways, it can't beat a good LaserDisc movie for nostalgia value.

Laserdisc... The most EPIC format (beside 32mm) ever ;-D
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

I've only recently picked up an hd 1080p tv in the last few months and have about 10 blue rays for it, i love stuff like ghostbusters, close encounters, and other movies like starship troppers in blue ray it definatly brings out the sound and picture on it a lot more but wherever possible i still tend to pick up dvds as there a lot cheaper than blue ray so thats means more in my price range as well lol i have nothing wrong in watching dvds still as the xbox360 and ps3 upscale them as well which is cool to 720p.

Very true, the upscale option works really very good - since some months I just use the PS3 to watch my DVD's instead of my old DVD player...
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years, 6 Months ago  
I just recently picked up both Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory and The Last Starfighter on Blu-ray. I have watched bothe movies and the Blu-ray transfers on both are top notch compared to its DVD counterparts. The Blu-ray of The Last Starfighter is encoded in DTS HD/Master Audio and I was able to hear a lot more things in the background because of that. Willy Wonka is one of my all time favorite movies and it was great to get the first Blu-ray release to see how ell Warner Brothers did the transfer. They did an excellent job with the Blu-ray as they did for The Wizard of OZ with almost a full restoration and Dolby True HD Sound encoding. 2 great recommendations for you guys to check out if you like classic movies.

Hey Adam, thx for the tips, I love the named movies a lot, too!

Oh, btw, where do you order your Blu-ray's? Where I live they are still very expensive, so I want to see if its worth to start to import them from the US as I do it with the DVD's, too...
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

It varies between big electronics stores and a mega all in store. I usually wait till the movie drops in price a bit before I decide whether or not to purchase the movie. I actually got The Last Starfighter for $10. I would say if it's a movie that you really like, then go ahead and get it on Blu-ray to compare it to when you first saw the movie.

Ah ok, I thought you would have a nice shop where you order your stuff from... ^^

However, Last Starfighter for 10$ is really good - i guess for the DVD you will not pay that much less...

Oh btw. I reorderd a remastered DVD of "Howard the Duck" incl. shipping for just 4,50$... Can't wait to get it ;-D
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years, 2 Months ago  
[NewNet]*Atarix wrote:
Ah ok, I thought you would have a nice shop where you order your stuff from... ^^

However, Last Starfighter for 10$ is really good - i guess for the DVD you will not pay that much less...

Oh btw. I reorderd a remastered DVD of "Howard the Duck" incl. shipping for just 4,50$... Can't wait to get it ;-D

I got my Howard The Duck for around £3 or £4 a year or so back. Was cool to see it again, as I remembered it vaguely as a child.

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years, 2 Months ago  
Oh, so you are a fan of that kind of movies, too? How old are you and what are your favourite flicks? :-D
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years, 1 Month ago  
I'm 27 now, and I like all kinds of films. It really all depends on whether or not the trailer makes me think "oooh, that's kind of cool". With Howard the Duck I was more interested in seeing how George Lucas, the maker of Star Wars would make a film about a humanoid Duck

My fave films are:
- Empire Strikes Back
- Return Of The Jedi
- Shawshank Redemption
- American Pie
- Reservoir Dogs

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years, 1 Month ago  
Ah, I see... Well, even if the humanoid Duck is something that Lucas would like to hide nowdays... I WILL ALWAYS LOVE THE FLICK :-D

I just watched Star Wars 1 - 6 during the last few evenings togehter with my wife, totally awesome... Talking about Star Wars... What about Star Trek? ^^
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years ago  
Haha, Howard The Duck, we talked about that the other week, a duck with a cigar in his mouth, lol.

Re:Blu-Ray 13 Years ago  
Well... during the 80's and 90's it the "Future" had still a lot of faces... ;-D
[NewNet]*Atarix
Administrator
graph

Go to topPage: 1